If you’re a regular at mountain biking, you can understand how tricky the routes and terrain can get as soon as the sun goes down. A good rider will take care of this and install a pair of heavy-duty lights on his bike for his rides at night.
Bike lights will help you see the road and the terrain properly and alert other drivers and riders on the road to your presence.
In this article, we talk about the best mountain bike lights for night riding available on the market today. A lot of extensive research has been put into this, and we bring you the best options at a reasonable price point.
This product from Magicshine comes with a combo of a headlight for the handlebar on your bike and one for your helmet. The helmet mount light will give you 1200 unit luments, while the one on your handlebar will provide you with 5000 unit lumens.
There are also different settings and beam patterns associated with both of these lights. You get a 20-degree pattern for the lights and four different power modes, including 100%, 50%, 30%, and a flashing mode setting.
On full battery and full brightness, the lights should last you for 2 hours of runtime. There is also a small red led tail light included with the package that has a flashing setting.
- Brand: Magicshine
- Color: Black and orange, white light
- Item Weight: 3 pounds
- Item Dimensions: 9.3 x 7.2 x 6 inches
- Items included in package: Handlebar light, helmet light, taillight, mounts, USB charging cable
- The package comes with three different types of lights, including one for your handlebar, one for your taillight, and one for your helmet.
- The package comes with rechargeable batteries that you can charge with a USB connection.
- The handlebar mounts and head unit will give you enough lumination for finding your way across rough terrain.
- The battery life on the rechargeable batteries is only about 2 hours on a full charge, which might not be enough for everyone.
- The helmet-mounted light can be a bit difficult to take on and off.
This light from Cygolite comes with a light output of 1400 lumens with a long-range and extra-wide beam. There are eight different lighting modes present on this light. The unit’s battery life can range anywhere from an hour and 15 minutes on Boost mode to 30 hours on walking mode.
If you’re biking somewhere with a lot of motorists on the road, the light comes with a SteadyPulse mode to alert them of your presence. It is excellent for road riding in spots where there is the possibility of traffic.
The light is easy to mount on your handlebar and has a water-resistant body for use in any condition. It also has a low battery indicator.
- Brand: Cygolite
- Color: Black, white light
- Item Weight: 185 grams
- Item Dimensions: 5.87 x 3.59 x 1.91 inches
- Items included in package: Handlebar light, USB charging cable
- The large number of modes and brightness settings present on the light give you the versatility to use it in a lot of different conditions.
- You can choose between dim lights for daytime usage or brighter lights for night time usage.
- The durable design and waterproof construction of the bright light ensures that you will not run into any problems while on the road.
- At only 1400 lumens, this is not the brightest light on this list, and there are other powerful lights available.
- The package does not come with rear lights and only has one light included.
With the option to set up on all kinds of mountain bikes with handlebars up to 35 mm, this bike light from NightRider runs on battery power that can be charged easily with the help of your laptop or anything with a USB connection. This means that you will not need spare batteries to run it.
It is also water and dust resistant to make it more durable for road riders. At 1200 lumens power output, even a narrow beam of light at the lowest settings is enough to use during the day to alert other drivers of your presence. It comes in both a light mode for the day and can be used as a light for night.
- Brand: NightRider
- Color: Black, white light
- Item Weight: 0.38 pounds
- Item Dimensions: 4.38 x 1.5 x 1.5 inches
- Items included in the package: Handlebar light, mount, USB charging cable
- There is a lock mode on the light that can help it from eating up battery power while it is in storage or not in use.
- The light comes with an IP64 certification, making it water and dust-resistant.
- The light comes with five settings for brightness along with two daylight flash modes.
- At 1200 lumens, this is the lowest light output light on the list. It might not be suitable for pitch darkness.
- If the light does not fit appropriately on your handlebars, it might rattle a little.
For your benefit, I have put together a buyer’s guide to help you pick between the options mentioned in this article.
High Power and Versatility: If you want something that will give you the most power output while compromising battery power, you can check out the Magicshine Extreme Mountain Bike Lights Combo.
Battery Optimized: If you need something for low light conditions that can last for a longer time, you can check out the NightRider Lumina 1200 Boost Mountain Bike Light or the Cygolite Ranger Bike Light.
Bike lights for your bike can save your life when you’re navigating rough terrain or routes with traffic on them. This article reviews the three best mountain bike lights for night riding. If you’re interested in similar topics, please feel free to check out our other articles as well!